• Students must achieve an average of 70 or better in each of the following core-content courses: ELA and/or reading, math, science and social studies. • Students who fail more than two (2) core-content courses during a school year will not be eligible for promotion. • Students must also pass all sections of the TAKS. • Students who have failed one or two core-content course(s) and/or a TAKS exam(s) must successfully complete accelerated instruction during extended year (summer school) to meet promotion requirements. • Successful completion of accelerated instruction during extended year requires 100% attendance and mastery of the objectives for that grade level. • Students who fail one or two core-content course(s) and/or a TAKS exam(s), and who do not successfully complete accelerated instruction during extended year (summer school) can only advance to the next grade by a unanimous decision made by the Grade Placement Committee. • The Grade Placement Committee decision is final and can not be appealed.
Students are assigned homework every day at Grantham Academy. Each department has been designated a particular day to assign homework. The following schedule has been provided to communicate to parents which subject they should expect to see homework for their child on each designated day. In the event your child has not been assigned homework, per the provided schedule, please contact Grantham Academy at 281-985-6590.
M – Math & Reading Counts
T – English & Reading Counts
W – Reading, History & Reading Counts
TH – Science, English & Reading Counts
F – Reading Counts
** READING COUNTS**: In addition to the homework assigned, students are expected to read a minimum of 20 minutes every evening.
Characteristics of a Grantham Student
• Problem-Solver • Productive Citizen • Critical Thinker • Engaged • Self-Motivated • Responsible • Respectful • Prepared for Class • Follows Directions • Organized • Positive Attitude • Cooperative • Open-minded • Goal-oriented • Hard-worker • In Dress Code • Never Gives Up • Completes Assignments • Perfect Attendance or Few Absences
Characteristics of a Grantham Teacher
• Rigorous • Passionate • Organized • Fair and Consistent • Thought Provoking • Knowledgeable • Enthusiastic • Continually Learning • Excellent Attendance • Lesson Plans on TRIAND • Students Engaged with Hands-on Activities • Examines Data • Team Player • Goes Above and Beyond • Supportive, “Cheerleader” • Differentiates Instructional Strategies • Flexible, makes Adjustments • Believes ALL Students Can Achieve • On-going Parent Communication • Pushes Students Beyond Their Limits
Characteristics of a Grantham Staff Member
• Problem-Solver • Cooperative • Organized • Respectful • Knowledgeable • Enthusiastic • Continually Learning • Excellent Attendance • Responsible • Positive Attitude • Open-minded • Team Player • Goes Above and Beyond • Supportive, “Cheerleader” • Hard-worker • Flexible, makes Adjustments • Welcoming • Fair and Consistent • Promotes Positive School Culture
Characteristics of the Grantham Learning Environment
• Rigorous • Print-rich • Highly Engaging • Structured • Welcoming • Praise Filled • Respectful • Neat and Organized • On-going Inquiry • All Inclusive • Non-intimidating • Interactive with Real World Applications • Promotes Positive Class Culture • Differentiates instruction • Diverse Teaching Styles • Rules that are Fair and Consistent • TEKS Based Curriculum • Meets the Needs of ALL Learner • Everything in the Room Connects to Learning
Characteristics of a Grantham Planning Session
• Collaborative • Flexible • Teamwork • Respectful • Efficient • Clear Communication • Focused • Sharing of ideas • Prepared and on task • Clarifying the TEKS • Agree to Disagree • Positive Rapport • Exploits Pedagogy • Data driven • Productive & optimistic • Objectives are clear and attainable • Well planned and well-paced • Everyone Participates and Contributes • Generous with ideas/materials
Characteristics of a Grantham Administrator
• Supportive • Consistent • Fair • Positive • Approachable • Good Resource • Clear Communicator • Conscientious • Enthusiastic • Organized • Collaborative • Personable • Accessible • Visible • Dependable • Student Focused • Creative and Inviting • Calm and Even Tempered • Interacts with Both Students and Staff • Gives Individual Specific Praise
Aldine Independent School District does not discriminate against persons because of race, creed, national origin, age, sex, disabilities, economic status or language disability in employment, promotion or educational programming. Any complaints or grievances which cannot be solved at campus level through the principal may be submitted in writing to Dr. Archie Blanson, Deputy Superintendent, 14910 Aldine Westfield Rd., Houston, TX 77032.